Friday 10 August 2012

A dirty business

And so, the latest London Underground strike enters its second day. Has anyone even noticed? I see nothing about it on TfL's web site, that's for sure, though I admit to only checking the homepage and using the search function.

The issue, of course, is that the cleaners feel they deserve a bonus for expected additional efforts that will be required of them during the Olympic period. By my count, this makes the fourth attempt by those employed (directly or tangentially) by TfL to hold London, and by extension the UK, to ransom during a period of unprecedented international scrutiny. A truly Olympian effort, I'm sure you'll agree.

So that's (up to) £850 for general London Underground Staff, £1,000 for tube drivers, £500 for bus drivers. What (if anything) will the cleaners get? After all, it's only fair that they, too, now receive their payout. And presumably all this extra money - which will find its way onto our ticket prices, I'm sure - will ensure we, and all our capital's guests, experience no issues with transport or dirt for the duration of the Games, right? Right?

Think I'll apply for a job with TfL.

No comments: