Tuesday 7 May 2013

Finally: an end to the confusion over whether cyclists are subject to the rules of the road!

Hello again,

I trust you all had a pleasant bank holiday weekend?  Mine was spent blessedly free of delays by avoiding public transport and spending time with my family.  And it very nearly continued into the shortened week...

This morning, the train from Hersham to Waterloo was delayed by a minute.  No explanation was offered, but it seemed to be caused by the train moving very slowly as soon as we passed Surbiton (i.e. came within TfL's circle of influence).  This would have made me miss the connecting tube I had Journey Planned on, but since that was also delayed (by two minutes), this wasn't a problem.  So a two-minute delay overall then, for £5 this morning.

Elsewhere in the news, BikeRadar reports on a trial for traffic lights for cyclists.  They've been talked about for some time, and I'm interested to see how they'll work out, since in my experience bike riders tend to ignore pretty much all traffic lights, signals, pedestrian crossings, cycle lanes, and vast swathes of the highway code.  Will these be any different?  Could it really be as simple as that cyclists are too stupid to understand road signals that don't have a picture of a bike on them?  Only time will tell, I suppose, but despite my sarcasm, I do hope they'll be a success.

No comments: